Saturday, March 19, 2011

fresh pineapple and hawaiian toast :)

Today I am going to a consignment sale for baby and kids stuff with my neighbor and friend. I remember going to these kinds of sales with my mom back when I was little. She volunteered there and we were always allowed to get the first pick on items the night before the sale started. This sale is several days long and seems to be pretty huge. My neighbor just had her first child last July so we both will be looking for some good deals. My baby shower is coming up in April so I am going to have to pace myself a little ;) 

So since I won't be here today I will leave you with what I made for dinner last night. It's called Hawaiian Toast and it is something my mom made a lot when me and my brothers were little. It is the equivalent to a US kid's grilled cheese. So easy and yummy, you will love it. 
I had fresh pineapple on hand but you can just get a can. I love using our pineapple corer that I got from WMF in Germany before I moved here. It makes cutting up pineapple a breeze. 
 It removes the core and leaves you with a perfect pineapple spiral :) 

Then, for the Hawaiian Toast all you need is bread that you butter lightly on both sides, some sort of lunch meat like ham, turkey or hard salami, some cheese (I like swiss) and of course pineapple slices. 
Simply layer the meat and pineapple and top it off with your cheese. Then put it in the oven at around 350 degrees until the cheese has melted. Voila! 

 Serve it with some ketchup or any other sauce of your liking. It is so easy to make and perfect when you don't really feel like cooking a meal. If you try this let me know how you liked it or even link back your post. 

10 comments:

  1. Looks really yummy, I love pineapple. And I'm over-the-moon jealous of your pineapple corer. I never buy pineapple because it's a pain to cut ... but not anymore! I'm getting me a special pineapple tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious! And I want a pineapple corer now! It's so neat!

    Thanks for your sweet comment! I am now your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, that looks good! Kinda like hawaiian pizza! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo this is a great idea! Yum! I am such a lazy cook and my husband would appreciate something simple and delicious like this that doesn't require too many dishes :) Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cool instrument for starters! Love the pictures capturing the pineapple transformation;0!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good, I'm going to have to find me one of these corer's I just recently cut my 1st pineapple, I was so excited.

    I'm following you from fab friends thursday blog please come by my blog sometime when you get a moment would love to have you follow me back
    http://www.shopping2scale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is an amazing little gadget!! Must find me one!
    Greetings! I am your newest follower from Mingle Monday! Please stop by my site share the love :o)
    http://cindyseesit.blogspot.com . While you are there, I’d be grateful if you could go and vote for my little booger. I am trying to win a Baby Bullet and I am severely behind 
    Thx!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need one of those gadgets to cut my pineapples with! I actually live in Hawaii and my husband and I eat pineapple weekly...I will definitely be looking to invest in one of these puppies. Delicious looking toast by the way :)

    togetherforthebetter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good.Glad I found your site and I'll be following it from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Du kannst dir nicht vorstellen... how nice it is to find a German girl who has moved to the US and who is still attached to the same brands as I am... WMF - does anyone know the one and only WMF in the U.S.? I have to get this tool! It looks so convenient how it prepares the pineapple for you ;) Thanks for sharing this great recipe for HAWAII TOAST ;) Alte Erinnerungen...

    http://6footone.wordpress.com/
    http://6footone.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.