Friday, December 9, 2011

{diy} plaid reversible scarfs

This is a great handmade gift idea for the men in your life. There are a lot more guys in my family than girls and I always find it hard to get them original gifts other than the usual socks and underwear type stuff ;) 
These reversible scarfs are super easy to sew and only take a few minutes to make.

You will need:
- 1/2 yard Fleece in the color of your choice (or a heavier fabric like corduroy)
- 1/2 yard Plaid fabric of your choice
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine

I got my fabrics at the fabric store where the fleece was half off and I had a coupon to use on the plaid fabric. Overall the fabric probably cost $7. I bought a few different colors of the plaid so I spent a little bit more. 


Out of both fabrics cut a piece each that is 25" long and 9" tall. That will give you enough space for a 1/4" to 1/2" seam allowance all around. 
Since both fabrics are the same on each side it doesn't matter which sides face together. If you're using a fabric with a right and wrong side make sure you line up wrong sides facing each other and sew all the way around leaving a 2" opening to turn the scarf inside out. 

Cut the corners off (be careful not to cut your seam) which will make your corners look nicer.
Iron the whole thing flat and sew the opening closed with a hidden stitch by hand or use your machine if you don't mind the extra seam. 



To create the circle I just overlapped my ends about half an inch and sewed down straight with a decorative stitch. With one I lined up the ends and sewed down with a straight stitch.
Whichever you prefer. 
The scarf can be worn on either side. Super easy and hopefully something my men will enjoy. 






Did those directions make any sense? I am not a seamstress. Sorry if you got confused or I didn't use the right terms. If you have a question just ask and I'll try to clarify :)

1 comment:

  1. Die sind super geworden! Muss doch mal Nähen lernen. Momentan haben meine Nähmaschine und ich ernsthafte Meinungsverschiedenheiten...

    Deine Männer freuen sich bestimmt! Ich hab solche Schals für meine Kinder, aber die hab ich von Dawanda ;)

    Liebe Grüße
    Swenja

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.