Thursday, May 31, 2012

a guide to pattern mixing

I shared this over at love stitched last week so you may have seen it already. If not here is my very own take on pattern mixing. 


Pattern mixing can be simplified to fit your everyday needs quite easily. Plus, it is a ton of fun :) Most of you are probably already "beginning pattern mixers". A floral dress with a striped handbag, a striped skirt, white tee and a dotted scarf? 
These are outfits most of us pair up on a daily basis and yes, they are considered pattern mixing. If you’re really apprehensive about mixing your patterns and haven’t even done these before, this is probably the best way for you to start. The effect is subtle but it's there and you don't have to worry that you're overdoing it. And as a bonus, you probably already have everything you need to pattern mix in that closet of yours. Don't you love it when you don't have to go out and spend any money to create a few new outfits? 


If you’re already bored of the beginning pattern mixing stage, how about taking it a step further with these options? 
floral blouse, leopard flats by John Lewis, skirt from topshop, striped tank from general pants co., vivian polka dot satchel from brahmin


Pair your favorite jeans with a flowy, floral top and add a twist with an animal print belt and flats. Not into the animal print thing? How about your favorite skirt a striped tank and a patterned bag? Make sure to stick to 2-3 colors to keep your outfit cohesive. 
A boldly patterned handbag that ties in the same color of the skirt you’re wearing will do just that. Also make sure to keep your textures to a minimum. A pleated skirt shouldn’t be paired with a heavy knit cardigan or a ruched blouse when you’re pattern mixing.

Even though I like to be creative when it comes to my own outfits I am also one to stick to the shapes and patterns that I know look good on me. Anyone else addicted to stripes? Well, my closet includes an overabundance of stripes so I like to pattern mix different stripes together. 


If you’re not really comfortable with pattern mixing (yet) but want to give it a try, make sure to stick to the shapes and patterns that you love and that flatter you most. You will feel so much more comfortable and be able to wear you new look with confidence. 


floral dress by romwe, striped bag from debenhams, tsumori chisato striped skirt "cats"


Another basic principle that works for me when it comes to pattern mixing is to stay away from too many accessories. I am more of minimalistic dresser and don’t wear much jewelry at all. When pattern mixing, you want those patterns to speak for themselves instead of having the focus diverted to a bright necklace and big earrings on top of that attention grabbing handbag.
If you are really into accessories make sure to make them part of your pattern mixing and don't go overboard - less is more. 


One final rule I always follow: Never wear more then 3 patterns in the same outfit!



Pin It




3 comments:

  1. I love the combination of polka dots + stripes! It just screams summer!

    xx
    Donyel

    with love from Mademoiselle Meese

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and want all of those outfits! Where is the blue and white bag on the bottom from? And the coral skirt with striped tank? I think I *need* those items!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.