Wednesday, August 8, 2012

you're my wonder woman

source


you know those days where you don't sit down from the time you get up in the morning until you go to bed late at night? where you run around all day from one chore to the next? where every time you feel like you're done you come across another task you just can't let be for another second? but it's not a bad day, it's actually a really good day and it feels great to get things accomplished.

yeah that's the kind of day I had yesterday.

don't get me wrong, there are many times where I let things go and don't worry about whether something really should have gotten picked up, cleaned or folded (yeah I hate laundry). but then once in a while I get this weird surge of energy that won't subside all day and makes me turn into sort of a super woman.

maybe yesterday it had something to do with logan deciding that sleeping in until 10.30 am was in order and just overall being super pleasant and balanced all day? don't you love it when you walk in their room in the morning and you can immediately tell that it's going to be a good day for everyone? that's how our day started off.

i showered without a rush while J was on breakfast duty (turkey bacon and eggs, yum!), grabbed a quick bite and went off to the grocery store. i didn't even get mad when a rude senior citizen cut in line in front of me, while everyone around me including the cashier was giving him the hardest time about it - didn't break my stride. by the way, he just told everyone that he didn't know what all the fuss was about since he only had "a few things" (like 25 few maybe).

then i ran to the bank to deposit a few checks. putting money in the bank is always a good thing.
jason left for work right as i got home and logan and i played for a while before he went down for a 2,5 hour nap. holy cow! that kid can sleep.

i called my parents in germany and had a nice long talk with my dad which hadn't happened in a few weeks. then i moved on to cooking up some lasagna soup and chocolate chip muffins and had dinner ready for when logan woke up. we ate, he played while i cleaned up the mess in the kitchen and while I folded and put away laundry. i cleaned him up, we played some more, story time and bed.

you'd think now would be the time to relax and watch some olympics or read one of the 278 magazines that are sitting on my nightstand...
but noooo my wondrous surge of energy forced me to change the sheets on our bed, pick up the room, water the plants, clean off a table in the kitchen, oh yeah and how about watering the vegetable garden in the dark? what? another load of laundry done? tomorrow's blog post?.... ahhh you get the point.

in the end, i sat down and thought about how much i appreciate all the things my mom did (and still does) for me, my brothers and dad while we were growing up.
in my early 20's, getting married, moving away and running my own household truly gave me newfound appreciation for the things my mom gave up to make my life easier. it brought us closer and we became friends, not just mother and daughter.
having a baby and becoming a mother myself just made that relationship blossom even more.
i am sure that all along she was probably thinking to herself that one day i'd understand, understand what it takes and why she made the choices she made for us and our family. how patient and kind she was while we danced around the house with little regard for the time she had put into keeping it clean and warm for us.
and i do understand now more than ever before. it's not always fun and sometimes you drag yourself out of bed and know the day will be horrible, but then you have days like this one where you are reminded of how much fun it can be and how rewarding it is to see the smiles on the faces of the ones you love. that and the taste of warm, fresh out of the oven gooey chocolate chip muffins.

so thanks mom! thanks for always being there and for always getting out of bed, on the good days and the bad ones too. you're my wonder woman.



Pin It


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a super productive day! Something pretty rare for me!

    I can never get over how much my mum has done and continued to do for me, think I better give her a big hug next time I see her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think back to my mom too even still she never stops giving. I'm OCD and have to get my stuff done as soon as I wake up. Sometimes I have to force myself to calm down and make peace with the fact that my house will never be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a sweet and inspiring post! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, can't wait to see what you do next! Come check out my blog, maybe we can follow each other!
    Material Fixations

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very true! Thanks for linking up with Mommy Moments Monday:)

    http://the-life-of-faith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.