Thursday, November 8, 2012

diy: eucalyptus christmas wreath

i know it may seem a little early for christmas decorating but since most years our family is likely to be traveling right around christmas time, I don't always get to decorate as much as i'd like. 
i'm not really much into decorating for holidays such as easter or halloween but christmas is a different story... lights, candles, music and some sparkly things - sign me up!

so in order to get my christmas decorating fix this year, i am starting early and lucky for you I am sharing a few of my favorite projects during the next few weeks. so get yourself some hot cocoa and settle into your favorite crafting spot.

not only does this eucalyptus christmas wreath look great and is easy to make, it will also make you want to spend more time by the window to get in a good ole' sniff, trust me!

for the wreath itself you will need the following:

eucalyptus (got mine at trader joes for $4.99)
embroidery hoops (or a wreath form from an old wreath like the green one in the picture)
scissors
a glue gun or craft/wood glue
some thin plastic gloves
thin thread in a matching green or whatever contrast color you'd like (metallics would be nice as well)

because eucalyptus contains oils you may want to wear gloves when working with it. otherwise be aware that your fingers will get sticky and it will take a good scrubbing to get back off. 
i ended up not using the gloves and just scrubbed my hands with soap and the scrubby side of a sponge when I was done. no big deal.

use the thread to carefully wrap the pieces of eucalyptus around your embroidery hoop. cover it well so that the hoop isn't obvious anymore but try not to overdo it. these are supposed to be thin wreaths. 
when you're happy with the way it looks, just tie the string and set the wreath aside.

for the stars you will need:

thin wooden star cut outs (bag of 130 at joann's for $3.99)
gold metallic spray paint

take your stars outside and spray paint both sides. do not attempt this if it is windy as the stars are not heavy enough and will blow away. also, try to spray carefully, from far away and preferably from the top as the spray can also flip them if you're not careful. the stars should be dry to the touch within seconds so flip them over and spray the other side. make sure they're nicely coated and let them dry for a few more minutes.

cut some string about 10-12" long, pick out two stars of the same size and place some glue on the inside of one. carefully glue the end of the string between the two stars and press together. do this to however many stars you'd like to use. 

now just tie the stars to your wreath at different heights. this will be super easy if you first tie some string to the top of the wreath and hang it up. 

that's it! super easy and looks so pretty. i think it would also be great to cover the stars in glitter for some extra sparkle.

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Great post! Such a unique twist on a classic pine wreath, and it looks so sweet and understated!

    x Ellie @ Ellalogy 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of eucalyptus. I love the idea.

    ~Danette

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so simpelan d pretty - the gold stars add an undeniably lovely touch

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope I can find some eucalyptus over here in Puerto Rico!? Would love to make that, it's so delicate and pretty. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! I'm so gad I found your blog, it's become one of my favs! xx

    myprettymummy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello !! I am your newest follower /

    Appreciate if U can FOLLOW me back :)

    Very pretty and classy, love the look :)
    I follow you now ! Wanna be your friend!
    Follow me back on facebook ,twitter,and GFC and add me as a friend in GFC
    love you dear :)

    Marcchanelette.blogspot.com
    MarcBelle Chanelene

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic! ugh! I'm tweeting this right now! you are so dang crafty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could this be any cuter?! I love the hanging stars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww this is so cute and looks great! xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of this! I am totally adding this to my decoration to-do list:)

    <3 Leney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me again!
    Thanks so much for sharing this! I loved it so much I shared it in a blog post today :)

    http://agirlnamedleney.blogspot.com/2012/12/christmas-inspiration.html

    Merry Christmas!

    <3 Leney

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.