Monday, November 12, 2012

recipe: oma's german sugar cookies


today's christmas cookie recipe is one of the easiest and yummiest ones you'll ever find. in the southern part of germany I come from we call them "austecherle". now go say that out loud once! awesome right?
with a name like that for a basic but fantastic, cut-out sugar cookie they naturally have to taste great :)
and trust me, they do! they remind me of my childhood and christmases past. great memories and yummy cookies, what more could you want? 

since your 'inner cookie lover self' won't allow you to just turn around and walk away now, I will let you in on all the secret ingredients. they're really extremely secret.

also, let your kiddos help. it's great fun for little helpers to cut out the cookies and decorate them.

bonus yay! (in case you needed more convincing): this is a recipe that requires the dirtying of only one measly mixing bowl and no electric mixer is needed at all. i love me an easy clean-up recipe. you know, just because we all have better things to do than cleaning up the kitchen all day long... (like blog reading, pinterest surfing, daydreaming, nail painting, baby cheeks squeezing... you  get the point.) 

ingredients: 

1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
2/3 cup of sugar
1 egg
a dash of salt 
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

metric measurements:

150g butter
125g sugar
1 egg
a dash of salt
1 package of vanilla sugar or 1/4 tsp. liquid vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. almond extract
250g flour
1/2 tsp backing powder 

in a medium bowl combine all ingredients until they form a smooth dough. i use a wooden spoon to combine and then my hands to get everything mixed well and smooth. if your dough is still extremely sticky, add a little bit more flour. 
place dough in the fridge for 30 minutes
remove dough from fridge and roll out on a floured surface to about 1/4 - 3/8" thick
cut out cookie shapes and place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. 
brush some egg yolk over the tops, decorate with sprinkles, nuts or whatever your favorite may be (optional, they are great just plain).

place in a 350F oven (175C) and bake for about 10-12 minutes.


enjoy with some milk or hot cocoa. 
store in a metal tin or other airtight container. 


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy def pinning these!

    Just wanted to let you know that I'm doing a Heylee B. Boutique Giveaway! I thought you might be interested.

    xoxo
    A-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! These look so good and what a wonderful family tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! They look sooo tasty! Love them:)

    http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! My breakfast of banana and almonds isn't cuttin' it after seeing this!

    xo Emily
    www.bupster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing, i'll definitely be giving these a go.
    you've inspired me; i'm going to get a book and fill it full of recipes i see on here to make sure i try them all out henever i see something i like the look of, and you're definitely number one in my list with these!
    i've started following, i can't wait to see your future posts. i love your diy bits too.
    please pop over and say hello, i'd love to chat more.
    hope to speak soon,
    laura x
    http://ilikecrayonsxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Das sind auch eine unserer Lieblingskekse! Vor allem, weil sie so einfach zu backen sind und 'Kleine Helfer' super mithelfen koennen :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this yesterday with 2 of my boys and they are delicious. I had already bought some Christmas tin cans for cookies to give to friends and was wondering what type of cookies to make, so now I know! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic recipe! My mom is German and when I made these it made her so happy and she said it reminded her of the cookies her mutter, my oma would make when she was growing up. They taste so good and I will be making these for many years. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting such lovely pictures!!!

    My Mom is German and she makes these every year at Christmas time from a book so old and dusty I fear each Christmas when she pulls it out, it's going to fall apart! lol!

    She loves miniatures, and I wanted to make her some in miniature, but wouldn't you know it, I don't have a single photo of them anywhere!!! So thank you so much for the photos!

    Mom and I were talking about them on the phone today... I can't wait for Christmas, and I can't wait for these cookies!!!! :D I can taste them already! ^______^

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.