Thursday, December 13, 2012

recipe: chicken tikka masala


Ok friends, this is definitely a recipe you need to try out asap! I fell in love with chicken tikka masala a few months back and since I didn't have all the ingredients needed for a recipe I found online, my own version was quickly born. It's super easy to make and the spicyness can definitely be adjusted to your liking. 

You'll need:

a large can of diced tomatoes (16oz)
a few fresh tomatoes if you'd like, diced
1-1 1/2 cups of chopped mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic or 1-2 fresh cloves
1 bay leaf
1 clove
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder, or more depending on your taste
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp sugar 
salt and pepper 
1 1/2 cups half and half or heavy whipping cream

2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks and seared in a pan



chop the onion and sautee it in some oil or butter. add in the garlic, chopped mushrooms and fresh tomatoes. let cook for a couple of minutes. 


add the entire can of diced tomatoes, sugar, all the spices (except for the bay leaf and clove) and stir well. 


add the half and half (or whipping cream). stir again. 


this is how I prevent losing the bay leaf and especially the clove in the sauce: carefully stick one clove in the middle of a large bay leaf and add it into the sauce. make sure not to stir too much now. 
let the sauce simmer for about 5-10 minutes. 


now remove the bay leaf and clove. taste your sauce and add more curry powder if you'd like. also add salt and pepper to taste. finally, add the chicken. 


i love to make this amazing trader joe's havest blend mix of quinoa, pearl cous cous and orzo. it's delicious. you can of course also make plain rice or a different side. 



dig in and enjoy! it's soooooo good :) 

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! This looks divine ... like something the whole family will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love masala, but not chicken. I have my own little recipe for eggplant masala but this seems like it'd have a little different taste than mine and I NEED to try it out. :)I'm a new(ish) indian food lover and seriously could eat it for every meal every day for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing, I will definitely be making that soon! Thanks for a great blog! :)

    xx

    Sofia
    www.lescoupsdecoeur.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.