Monday, February 25, 2013

a pop of coral and how I purged my closet



Leggings: BDG at UO, T-Shirt: CottonOn, Sweater: Gap Outlet, Blazer: Ralph Lauren, Shoes: BDG at UO, Gloves: Target, Hat: Pieces, Bag: Liebeskind Berlin
I want to take a minute to talk about my closet today. A totally serious investigation into the depths and the how's and why's of my closet. Because every once in a while the truth has to be revealed...

Over the past 6 months I have gotten rid of more clothing than ever before. The reason being that almost every time I went to pick out an outfit I got overwhelmed with the decision making process, to a point where I got frustrated and unhappy with a lot of my outfit choices.
So I trashed, donated, sold and reorganized that closet of mine, and even took the time to unearth some boxes from the attic. When you open a box of shoes that you didn't even remember you had and suddenly it feels like you're shopping your own closet, you know it's time to let some things go...

I was going through a phase that changed my outlook on fashion completely. 
I wasn't happy with how certain things fit but I didn't want to get rid of them because of something or someone I had seen wearing something similar and well, it sure looked great on them.
So I kept holding on in the hopes of one day figuring out the trick to making this work or adding a piece to my wardrobe that would magically pull the look together.
I was fooling myself. 

I realized that what I want most when it comes to dressing myself is to be comfortable yet stylish in a subtle way that allows me to chase after a toddler and not constantly worry about breaking an ankle or flashing too much skin. 

I discovered that certain materials and cuts don't suit me in my day-to-day life. I like oversized clothing but have to be careful not to drown myself in them and loose all shape. It has been a fun and frustrating learning process and I am more careful now about what I choose to buy in the store.
I definitely have a much easier time putting together outfits with what I have kept and the new pieces I have added to my closet over the past few months. Taking outfit pictures also helps me evaluate each outfit I wear and make possible changes or totally scrap a combo. 

The outfits I post here are not always my favorites but I don't think it'd be very honest of me to only post the ones I am in love with. I am a mom, I am busy and I don't always have time to pick out an amazing outfit. What I want to share is the evolution of my style and the constant learning process that goes along with that.

I'll be sharing more about how and where I shop (because it's still my favorite), what I look for and how I decide what to buy in a post on Wednesday. 

Have you ever purged your closet? Did it make you feel better or did you regret it? 

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE cleaning out my closet. I was actually going to do it this weekend & then I forgot. Shoot. I'm gonna do it soon!

    Love your outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE purging my closet. It's always so refreshing. This outfit is darling, that color is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very healthy perspective on personal style and I applaud you for being sensibly and sensitively fashionable. Tailoring your wardrobe in order to accomodate a toddler in your life is inescapable. Very cute outfit, as always. =]

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pop of color here!! and cleaning out the closet is always a good thing!! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really need to do the same to my closet. I'm not necessarily feeling overwhelmed... it's more that my closet seems to be packed out while I still have nothing to wear.
    Love that blazer!!
    Jenn
    With Luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. You are so fashionable and I love all the outfits you post here. And I t agree- its bit easy when you have a baby who will be wiping his hands on you! That affects what I wear too.. Love all your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked at American Apparel for 3 years, so after I quit there I was so sick of constantly wearing American Apparel that I got rid of so much of it, and now I'm regretting select items that I purged. Lately when I go through clothing purges, it's usually just things that don't fit me properly and don't flatter. It is a really nice feeling though, getting rid of things that you don't need.

    Nicole
    www.younglovestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you lady! I need to do this BIG time! But it's so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love a good closet cleaning...
    love your outfit Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit...the pop of color is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh gosh, you have a wonderful style! i love re-organizing and getting rid of clothes i don't wear anymore! i always try and do a clothing swap with friends (if you are wanting clothes too?), or donate them to a local goodwill!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. i adore your pop of coral!

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2013/02/thrift-finds-what-i-wore-wednesday-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a hat so bad! sooooo bad!!
    i love it!
    and the one spot of color is great too!
    www.roothless-xo.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. those mittens are adorable! and the trees in the background, stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.