Wednesday, March 20, 2013

recipe: potato&leek cream soup

With Spring not really wanting to make an appearance around these parts yet, I've been cooking a lot of soups and stews lately. We love ourselves a good Chili and I have the most amazing recipe for a sausage and bean stew that has been a favorite for me growing up. Have I mentioned my Dad is a mean cook? Anyway, this time I thought I'd change it up with something on the lighter (color) side. 

This recipe is quite simple and quickly made. It only requires a few basic ingredients and for once will give you a reason to buy leeks at the store ;) I love onions so I basically adore leeks and I always like to put them into a quiche or tart as well.

Ingredients you'll need:

1 32 oz carton of (organic) vegetable stock
4 large potatoes
2 leek stalks (I use all of the white part and also some of the lighter green)
1 tbsp butter
1 cup of half&half 
1 pkg. cream cheese (i use neufchatel because it's lighter)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
salt+pepper to taste
water, in case you want your soup less creamy

optional: brown some ground beef and add into the soup


Add the box of vegetable stock to a large pot and bring to a boil.
Peel and cut up your potatoes. Add them to the vegetable stock and let cook. 
Meanwhile clean and cut up your leeks. Make sure to wash them because dirt will get in between some of the outer layers sometimes. 

Add a tablespoon of butter to a large skillet an add the leeks. Let cook until leeks start to get tender. 
Add the cream cheese, let melt and stir frequently. 
Now add in the half&half, parmesan and salt and pepper. 
Let everything cook until the leeks are nice and soft but don't forget to stir. 

Add the skillet mixture into your pot with the vegetable stock and cooked potatoes. Stir and remove from heat. Use a stick blender to blend the ingredients. I usually make sure to get all of the potatoes but leave some of the leeks whole. If you don't have a stick you can also use a regular blender just be very careful since the soup will be hot. 

Optional:
  • Add as much water as you like to make the soup your preferred consistency.
  • Brown some ground beef and add some meat to this meal. 

Enjoy! 

























Would love it if you pinned it :)

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks delish Sophie! I love any creamy soup - it looks perfect for a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love potato leek soup! I've never made it with cream cheese though! I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.